How to order Athangudi Tiles?
- There are various designs. You can choose a design and colour of your choice. Click here for a catalog of designs.
- You can also custom make designs. In this case, you need to pay the cost of the mould.
- Once the order is placed, the tiles are produced. The tiles cannot be stocked for a long time as the ends are porous and discolouration is bound to occur at the corners.
- Only about 75 sq ft can be produced each day.
- The tiles are about an inch in thickness. Three size options are available- 6 by 6 inches, 8 by 8 inches and 10 by 10 inches.
How are Athangudi tiles laid?
- The laying process is different from the regular tile laying process. Masons from Karaikudi should be employed as they understand the process better.
- For a minimum of 600 sq ft, the local masons are willing to travel anywhere in India for the laying process. Depending on the quantum of work, one or two helpers need to be provided for the masons. Please note that the mason speaks only Tamizh. A better idea would be to source low cost labour from Karaikudi itself.
- Rice husk is used for polishing, which is also sourced from Karaikudi.
- About 100 sq ft can be laid in a day. Post laying, 2-3 days are required for polishing. The polished tile reflects light like a mirror.
How are Athangudi Tiles maintained?
- The tile responds well to use. The more you walk on it, the shinier it gets. Non usage may dull the tile. Hence, it is not advisable to use as wall tiles.
- Regular cleaning should do. You can even wash the floors. Once a week, mop the floor with a mixture of water and 10-15 drops of coconut oil. It keeps the sheen intact.
What areas are best suited to Athangudi tiles?
- It is best suited to porches, verandahs and living rooms where traffic is quite high.
- Not advisable for kitchens and open to sunlight areas.
- For smaller size rooms, use smaller and less intricate designs. The more intricate ones look dramatic in larger areas.